Wednesday, November 4, 2015

IWSG November Entry: When the Student Is Ready ...

Thanks to the Insecure Writers Support Group, I get to express my feelings about writing once a month in the hopes that it may inspire me, or others, to press on!

 It seems that around every first Wednesday of the month, I begin to see more inspirational messages about writing. It’s as if the Holy Spirit shakes a measure of good cheer over the earth, which finds its way to the internet, exactly when I need it. Hmm … is there a deeper message here?

There is an old Asian saying that states, “When the student is ready, the teacher will come.” I firmly believe this philosophy, as I’ve seen it manifest plainly in my writing life. It is the philosophy of the gospel of Jesus Christ, even if we don’t recognize it at first. But it is there for those with eyes to see and ears to hear.


When I wanted to write a novel, my good friend, Terrie Bittner, who was an author in her own right, directed me to the Writing Great Fiction series, and so my studies began.

When I wrote my first draft and needed to take the next step, Terrie introduced me to iWriteNetwork, an online group of writers helping writers, and I met Tristi Pinkston, a fabulous author and accomplished editor. I began to put myself out there, go to workshops, chat online, and I kept studying. Tristi helped me see the flaws in my work and directed me toward improvement.

When I needed to find a critique group, Donna K. Weaver invited me to join Pied Pipers from the David Farland’s Writing Group, and I got some amazing feedback from other, more accomplished writers. She then introduced me to American Night Writers Association, or ANWA, an online support group for LDS women writers. Between these two groups, I received hands-on help which propelled my novel to the next level.

When I finally felt my novel was “ready” I went back to Tristi for a final edit, and she actually used phrases like “enjoying  your rewrite,”  "improvement is inspiring,” "you've grown so much as a writer," and “proud of you,” in describing my revision. It took me a while to pick myself up off the floor, but I did.

When I said to myself, “I know nothing about publishing and marketing—it will take me a year, at least, to learn the basics,” Kary Oberbrunner contacted me about being my publishing coach. I checked out his Author’s Academy Elite and realized it is what I’ve needed all along to market the Doorway series properly.

And so again, I see—when the student is ready, the teacher will come. I am so blessed to see the teachers in my life, how they have been in tune with the spirit, how they were there for me even when they didn’t realize it.

When we humble ourselves enough to acknowledge our weaknesses, we are open to the help and hope that is waiting to lift us up. It is the story of our Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ, a story that has been around forever. I find my inspiration from my faith, and it keeps me positive, determined, and driven toward excellence. I know I can, because I know who I am.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! Come back to visit soon!